Toasted Indian Flatbread with Grilled Vegetables and Black Quinoa
This nutritionally balanced “pizza” sports whole-grain quinoa, grilled seasonal vegetables, mild Indian spices and crumbled paneer cheese, all on puffy naan. “Garden fresh,” straight from the oven.
Yield: 4 pizzas
Curry (yield 1½ c.)
- ½ c. olive oil, divided
- 3 T. red onion, small dice
- 1 T. ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. ground coriander
- 1 t. Garam masala
- 1 t. turmeric powder
- 1 t. Chile powder
- 2 c. vine-ripe tomato, diced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced ¼”
- 1 zucchini, sliced ¼”
- 1 yellow squash, sliced ¼”
- 1 eggplant, sliced ¼”
- 1 cauliflower head, sliced thin
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, sliced ¼”
- salt and pepper, To taste
- 4 prepared naans, 4.4 oz. each
- 1 c. cooked InHarvest Quinoa (black, red, white or a combination)
- 1 c. crumbled paneer cheese
For the curry:
- Sauté red onion, ginger and garlic in ¼ c. olive oil until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. (Do not burn.)
- Add all spices and the rest of the olive oil. Let simmer for 3 minutes. Add tomato, pull from stove and reserve. (Tomato will continue to cook in the hot oil.)
For the pizzas:
- Toss sliced vegetables in olive oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill each vegetable cut over medium to high heat just enough to infuse with smoke flavor and to mark, about 3 minutes on 1 side only. Remove from grill and reserve.
- Place naans on a sheet tray and coat each with approximately 3 oz. red-onion curry. Evenly distribute ⅓ c. quinoa on each naan.
- Evenly distribute grilled vegetables, grilled side up, atop each naan. Sprinkle 2 oz. paneer cheese atop vegetables.
- Place pizzas in a 350°F conventional oven for 4 minutes or just enough to heat vegetables through and slightly melt the cheese. At service, salt to taste.
Per serving: 956 cal., 27 g pro., 101 g carb., 18 g fiber, 54 g fat (10 g sat. fat), 15 mg chol., 1265 mg. sod., 18g. sugar