|Industrial||1-530-669-0150 ext. 3627|
Naked, Wild & Free™ Sorghum Porridge with Roasted Tomato, Goat Cheese & Sage - 8 oz.
InHarvest Products Used
Yield: 5 servings
- 2 t. olive oil, divided
- 1 c. diced onion
- 2 T. chopped garlic
- 8 oz. InHarvest Naked, Wild & Free™
- 2¾ c. low-sodium chicken stock
- 1½ t. kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 c. milk
- 1 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T. chiffonade of fresh sage leaves
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- 5 uncooked 1-oz. bacon strips
- 5 oz. chilled goat cheese, sliced into 1-oz. disks
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- ¼ t. superfine sugar
- 1 T. chopped (½” long) chive
- 5 fresh whole sage leaves
- In a pot over medium heat, heat 1 t. of the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add InHarvest Naked, Wild & Free to the pot and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes to toast the grains.
- Add the stock, salt and bay leaf to the pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let the porridge simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and reserve the porridge hot, covered.
- In a separate pot, heat the milk until just steaming.
- In a mixing bowl, temper the raw eggs by whisking in a small amount of hot milk. Continue to add milk gradually, whisking constantly, until all of the milk is whisked in.
- With a rubber spatula, stir the egg/milk mixture into the cooked porridge. Fold in the black pepper and chiffonade of sage. Reserve warm.
- While the porridge is cooking, slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise. (If the tomatoes have a lot of seeds, scoop them out.) In a mixing bowl, toss the tomato halves with the remaining olive oil. Place the tomato halves on a parchment-lined sheet pan and roast at 375°F for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line the bacon strips on a separate parchment-lined sheet pan and place in the 375°F oven. Cook the bacon until crisp, checking the oven periodically to avoid the bacon burning.
- Remove the bacon from the oven and drain off the fat. Break the strips into approximately 1” pieces and reserve warm.
- Once the tomato halves have roasted at 375°F for 40 minutes, increase the oven to 400°F and continue to roast until the tomato halves are caramelized, approximately 20 minutes.
- In a shallow pan over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil. Add the whole sage leaves to the pan and cook until they turn dark green and crisp. (Do not burn.) Remove the leaves to paper towels and reserve for garnish.
- Evenly sprinkle the sugar over the goat-cheese disks. Brûlée the tops of the disks using a blowtorch or, alternatively, brown them under a broiler.
- Per order: Place 1 c. of the porridge into a single-serving bowl. Garnish with 5 to 6 pieces bacon, 2 tomato halves, a sprinkling of chopped chive, 1 goat-cheese disk and 1 fried sage leaf.
Per serving: 599 cal., 23 g pro., 44 g carb., 6 g fiber, 39 g fat (9 g sat. fat), 110 mg chol., 954 mg sod., 8 g sugar
Chef’s note: Serve the savory porridge with warm milk or cream on the side if desired.