|Industrial||1-530-669-0150 ext. 3627|
Wheat Berry Salad with Tomato-Basil Vinaigrette - K-12 Foodservice
This recipe was developed by InHarvest Chef Coleen Donnelly specifically for school menus.
InHarvest Products Used
Yield: 30 1-cup servings
A 1-cup serving provides 1 grain/bread serving, ½ cup vegetable, 0.5 oz. meat/alt.
- 2 lbs. InHarvest Wheat Berries
- 5 c. tomatoes, canned, low sodium, diced, with juice
- 1/3 c. Dijon mustard
- 1/3 c. lemon juice
- 1-2/3 T. garlic, minced
- 1-2/3 T. kosher salt
- 1¼ t. black pepper
- 2/3 c. olive oil
- 5 c. white beans, canned, low sodium, drained
- 2½ qts. tomatoes, grape or cherry, halved
- 1¼ c. basil, chopped
- 1¼ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook InHarvest Wheat Berries according to package instructions. (Cook until the wheat berries are very tender.)
- Lay the wheat berries out on a sheet pan and chill.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, using a blender or hand-held immersion blender, purée the canned tomatoes, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. With the blender running, add the olive oil slowly and blend until emulsified.
- In a bowl, combine the wheat berries, beans, fresh tomatoes, basil and Parmesan with the dressing.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least 2 hours to allow the wheat berries to absorb the dressing and for the flavors to develop.
Per serving: 224 cal, 9 g pro., 34 g carb., 7 g fiber, 6 g fat, 1 g sat. fat, 3.67 mg chol., 421 mg sod.