|Industrial||1-530-669-0150 ext. 3627|
Wheat Berry and Black Bean Salad - K-12 Foodservice
This recipe was developed by InHarvest Chef Coleen Donnelly specifically for school menus.
InHarvest Products Used
Yield: 35 1-cup servings
A 1-cup serving provides 1 grain/bread serving, ¼ cup vegetable, 1 oz meat/alt.
- 2 lbs. InHarvest Wheat Berries
- 2½ qts. black beans, canned, drained, low sodium
- 5 c. green bell peppers, chopped
- 5 c. corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1¼ c. cilantro, chopped
- 3½ T. cumin, ground
- ¾ c. lime juice
- 2½ T. kosher salt
- 1¼ t. black pepper
- 2/3 c. vegetable oil
- Cook InHarvest Wheat Berries according to package instructions. (The wheat berries should be very tender, yet still retain their natural chewy texture.)
- Lay the wheat berries out on a sheet pan and chill.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, black beans, bell peppers, corn and cilantro.
- To make the dressing, in a separate bowl, whisk together the lime juice, cumin, salt, pepper and oil.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop. Mix well before serving.
Per serving: 215 cal., 9 g pro., 36 g carb., 9 g fiber, 5 g fat,