|Industrial||1-530-669-0150 ext. 3627|
KAMUT® Wheat, Artichoke & Fresh-Tomato Frittata
From the kitchens of the School of Culinary Arts at Kendall College comes a healthy new look at an old breakfast favorite. Our guest dietitian Chef Renee Zonka, RD, CEC, CHE, developed this frittata to deliver a healthy serving of whole grains to your morning menu.
InHarvest Products Used
Yield: 3 12-in. frittatas (18 servings)
- 8 oz. InHarvest KAMUT® Brand Khorasan Wheat
- 6 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped (about 3 c.)
- 3 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4½ c. quartered artichoke hearts
- 30 large eggs at room temperature
- 2¼ t. salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ c. + 1 T. whole milk
- 2/3 c. + 1 T. grated Parmesan
- 6 oz. Gruyère, grated
- 4½ T. chiffonade of basil
- 4½ T. chopped parsley
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced ¼-in. thick
- Cook InHarvest KAMUT® Brand Khorasan Wheat according to package directions. Reserve.
- For 1 frittata: Heat 1 T. olive oil in a heavy nonstick 12-in. skillet over medium heat. Add 1 c. chopped onion and cook, stirring until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 1 to 2 cloves minced garlic and cook for another minute. Add 1½ c. artichoke hearts and heat through. Set aside. Wipe out the skillet and dry.
- Beat 10 eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in ¾ t. salt, a generous amount of black pepper and 3 T. milk. Stir in the reserved vegetables, 2 T. Parmesan, 2 oz. Gruyère, 1 cup cooked kamut wheat, 1½ T. basil and 1½ T. parsley.
- Heat 1 T. olive oil in the skillet. (It should sizzle when a drop of egg hits the pan.) Pour in the egg mixture. Swirl the pan to distribute the mixture evenly over the surface. Shake the pan gently, tilting it slightly while lifting up the edges of the frittata with the spatula to let the egg run underneath. While the top of the frittata is still wet, layer the slices of 1 tomato on top in a circular pattern. Reduce heat to low, cover the skillet and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, occasionally shaking the pan gently until the egg mixture sets.
- Uncover the frittata, sprinkle with 1½ T. Parmesan and finish under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes or in a 375°F oven until the top is browned. Allow the frittata to cool slightly.
- Loosen the edges of the frittata with a spatula and serve.
- Repeat steps for remaining 2 frittatas.
KAMUT® is a registered trademark of Kamut International and is used under license.