|Industrial||1-530-669-0150 ext. 3627|
Heirloom Tomatoes Stuffed with Farro & Applewood-Smoked Bacon
InHarvest Products Used
Yield: About 8 ½-cup servings
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 8 oz. InHarvest Farro
- 8 heirloom tomatoes, medium to large
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. applewood-smoked bacon, medium dice
- ¼ oz. fresh basil, chiffonade
- 6 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. arugula
- 2 oz. shaved parmigiano-reggiano
- Bring 2 cups stock to a boil. Stir in InHarvest Farro. Bring back to a boil and cover. Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Core tomatoes about 2/3 the way through with a wide-cut circle at the top. (Each tomato should accommodate approximately ½ cup Farro mixture.)
- Lightly salt the inside of each tomato. Turn each tomato upside down on a perforated pan to drain.
- Sauté bacon until nearly all fat is rendered out. Drain grease.
- To Farro brought to room temperature, thoroughly mix in bacon, basil and 2 T. olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff each tomato with ½ cup Farro mixture.
- Lightly dress arugula with remaining olive oil.
- Plate 1 oz. arugula per portion. Place 1 stuffed tomato atop arugula on each plate.
- Garnish each tomato with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Chef’s Note: When heirloom or other ripe, flavorful tomatoes are not available, consider a lightly roasted tomato to bring out the natural sugars.