|Industrial||1-530-669-0150 ext. 3627|
Buffalo Chicken & White Barley Shaker Salad - K-12 Foodservice
Recipe developed by InHarvest Chef Coleen Donnelly specifically for school menus.
InHarvest Products Used
Yield: 14 servings
Each portion provides 2 grain/bread servings, 1 cup vegetable (½ cup dark green, ¼ cup red/orange, ¼ cup other), 2.5 oz. eq. meat/alt.
- 2 lbs. InHarvest White Barley
- 2 c. yogurt, plain, unsweetened, nonfat
- 1¼ c. mayonnaise
- 4½ T. hot sauce
- 3½ T. lemon juice
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 14 c. romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3½ c. carrots, diced
- 7 oz. blue cheese crumbles
- 1¾ lbs. chicken meat, cooked, diced
- 3½ c. celery, diced
- Cook InHarvest White Barley according to package directions.
- Cool completely on a sheet pan.
- Combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, hot sauce, lemon juice and salt. Blend well. (See tip below.)
- Fill 2-oz. dressing cups with ¼ c. of dressing and cover each with the lid.
- Layer ingredients into 16-oz. cups as follows:
• 1 c. romaine lettuce
• 1 c. barley
• ¼ c. carrot
• .5 oz. blue cheese (about 1/8 cup)
• 2 oz. chicken (about 1/2 c., volume may vary depending on product used)
• ¼ c. celery
- Cover the cup with the flat lid. Place the dressing cup on top of the flat lid. Place the domed lid on top of the salad cup and press to seal.
- To make the salad, remove lids from the cup. Pour contents of the dressing container into the cup. Replace the domed lid only and shake the salad until ingredients are mixed.
Per serving: 538 cal., 33 g pro., 67 g carb., 16 g fiber, 16 g fat, 5 g sat. fat, 69 mg chol., 704 mg sod.
* The Meat/Meat Alternate contribution is calculated on an ounce to ounce basis. If using a product that requires more than 1 ounce to meet the ounce equivalent, the recipe will require adjustment in order to meet the stated M/MA contribution.
* Premade blue-cheese dressing may also be used. Simply add hot sauce to achieve the desired heat level. Nutritional information will vary.
Note: For each salad, you will need a 16-oz. clear cup with a flat no-slot lid and a domed no-hole lid, as well as a 2-oz. portion cup with lid.