|Industrial||1-530-669-0150 ext. 3627|
Chilled Nerone Italian Black Rice Risotto with Stone Fruits
Whole-grain Nerone Italian Black Rice—offered to U.S. foodservice exclusively from InHarvest—is a medium-grain, heirloom rice organically grown and harvested in north Italy's Po valley. When cooked, it boasts an aroma similar to that of freshly baked bread. Its flavor is rich and buttery, with a slightly sweet finish. This recipe showcases the rice in a stunning chilled risotto.
InHarvest Products Used
Yield: 7 cups
- 3 c. vegetable stock
- 8 oz. InHarvest Nerone Italian Black Rice
- 2 oz. goat cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 c. small-dice sweet onion
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 c. white wine
- 1 fresh peach, pitted, medium dice
- 1 fresh plum, pitted, medium dice
- 1 fresh nectarine, pitted, medium dice
- Kernels from 2 grilled corn cobs
- ½ c. chiffonade of basil
- In a pot, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. Add InHarvest Nerone Italian Black Rice. Simmer, covered, for 35 to 40 minutes. (A soft texture is desired for the rice served cold.)
- Add the goat cheese to the rice and combine well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the rice out onto a sheet pan. When cool, chill, covered, until service.
- In a sauté pan with olive oil, sauté the onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. (Do not burn the garlic.) Season to taste.
- Deglaze the onion and garlic with wine and let reduce by half.
- Add the fruits to the pan and cook until tender. (Time will vary depending on ripeness.)
- Remove the fruit mixture from the pan. Mix the grilled corn kernels into the fruit mixture. Cover and chill until service.
- At service, toss the rice and fruit mixture together and mix in the basil. Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately.
Chef’s note: This dish can be made a day ahead, but store the rice separately from the stone-fruit mixture.