Wild Mushroom & Tuxedo Barley™ Salad
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 c. lightly salted water
- 8 oz. InHarvest Tuxedo Barley™
- 1 qt. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- 4 t. fennel seed
- 2 t. whole black peppercorns
- 4 2” lemon peels
- 1 lb. assorted mushrooms, trimmed
- Salt, to taste
- 2 T. sherry vinegar
- 2 t. lemon juice
- 1 t. fine-dice shallot
- 2 t. Dijon mustard
- ½ t. kosher salt
- ¼ t. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 c. baby arugula
- 2 oz. whole pecorino cheese
- In a pot on the stovetop, bring the salted water to a boil. Stir in InHarvest Tuxedo Barley. Reduce heat and let simmer, covered, for 50 minutes or to desired texture.
- Drain the pot and lay the cooked barley out in a thin layer on a sheet pan to cool.
- In a medium pot over low heat, heat the oil. Add the rosemary, garlic, fennel seed, peppercorns and lemon peels to the pot. Infuse the oil for 20 minutes. Strain the oil and return it to the pot. Discard the other ingredients.
- Add the mushrooms to the oil and cook gently until cooked through, about 15 minutes. (Cook the mushrooms in batches if necessary to ensure oil covers the mushrooms.)
- Using a sieve, strain the mushrooms. Reserve the oil.
- In a cast-iron skillet over high heat, sear the mushrooms until golden. Sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside to cool.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk in 3 T. of the oil reserved after cooking the mushrooms. (Reserve the remaining infused oil for another use.)
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, cooked barley, mushrooms and dressing. Toss well.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave curls of the pecorino over the salad and serve.
Per serving: 305 cal., 11 g pro., 32 g carb., 8 g fiber, 15 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 10 mg chol., 312 mg sod.