Whole-Wheat Pearled Couscous with Chicken and Tomatoes - K-12 Foodservice
This recipe was developed by InHarvest Chef Coleen Donnelly specifically for school menus.
Yield: 24 servings
An 8 oz. spoodle serving (9.2 oz. by weight) provides 1 oz. eq. grain (100% whole grain), ¼ cup vegetable (red/orange), 2 oz. eq. meat/alt.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 c. onions, medium dice
- ¼ c. garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 6 c. tomatoes, canned, low sodium, diced, with juice
- ¼ c. Italian seasoning
- 2 T. kosher salt
- 2 qts. chicken stock, low sodium
- 1½ lbs. InHarvest Whole Wheat Pearled Couscous
- 3 lbs. chicken meat, cooked, diced
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a stockpot large enough to hold the first 7 ingredients.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt to the pot and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add stock to the mixture and bring to a boil.
- Into each 2½” hotel pan, place 1½ lbs. InHarvest Whole Wheat Pearled Couscous, 3 lbs. chicken and 1 c. Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Add 4 qts. hot stock mixture.
- Cover tightly with parchment paper and foil.
- Cook in a 350°F convection oven for 25 minutes. (Couscous may still be slightly underdone and there may be some liquid remaining, but this will be absorbed during holding.)
- Stir well using a rubber spatula before serving.
Per serving: 240 cal., 25 g pro., 27 g carb., 3 g fiber, 5 g fat, 2 g sat. fat, 56 mg chol., 596 mg sod.
- This recipe is intended to be made in multiple hotel-pan batches. If the desired total is not a multiple of the hotel-pan yield, a partial pan may be made with adjustments to the amounts listed in the procedure.
- The Meat/Meat Alternate contribution is calculated on an ounce-to-ounce basis. If using a product that requires more than 1 ounce to meet the ounce equivalent, the recipe will require adjustment in order to meet the stated M/MA contribution.