Mushroom & Asparagus Farrotto with Asiago - 8 oz.
Farro, an ancient heirloom grain, brings a better-for-you element to the Italian classic, risotto. In this recipe, the farro is cooked, then stirred into sautéed mushrooms and onion. Add garlic, chicken, white wine, and finish the dish with cream, seasoning and Asiago cheese.
Yield: about 4 cups
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz. InHarvest Farro
- 2 T. butter
- ½ c. diced onion
- 1 c. sliced washed mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 c. ½” slices trimmed asparagus
- 1 c. bite-size pieces cooked and pulled rotisserie chicken
- ½ c. white wine
- ½ c. heavy cream
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ t. ground black pepper
- ¼ t. ground nutmeg
- ½ c. shredded Asiago cheese
- On the stovetop, bring the stock to a boil with the bay leaf. Discard the bay leaf.
- Cook InHarvest Farro in the stock according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter and add the onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes or until the onion just starts to brown.
- Add the cooked farro, garlic, asparagus, chicken and wine. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and stir in the cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Let cook another 4 minutes; remove from heat.
- Stir in the Asiago before serving.