Mid-Eastern Mushroom Caps with Za’atar-Seasoned Rio Medley™
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 c. chicken stock or salted water
- 8 oz. InHarvest Rio Medley™
- 8 medium portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 T. olive oil, divided
- 1/3 c. small-dice red onion
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, small dice
- 1 c. crumbled feta cheese
- Za’atar, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Bring water or stock to a boil. Stir in InHarvest Rio Medley. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 to 17 minutes or until desired texture is achieved. (The rice should be slightly overcooked.) Reserve chilled.
- Coat the portobello caps with 3 T. olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the caps on a sheet tray and roast at 400°F for 4 to 5 minutes to remove some of the water in the mushrooms. Reserve and let cool.
- In a sauté pan over medium, heat the remaining olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and season to taste with za’atar. Reserve the mixture chilled.
- Toss together the chilled Rio Medley, feta and chilled vegetables. Adjust seasoning with za’atar as needed.
- Add the egg to bind and form ½-cup scoops for each of the portobello caps.
- Roast at 400°F until the internal temperature reaches 140°F. Serve warm.
Chef’s note: For appetizer portions, use cremini caps instead of portobellos.