Black Pearl Medley® Mandarin Chicken Bowl - K-12 Foodservice
Recipe developed by InHarvest Chef Coleen Donnelly specifically for school menus.
Yield: 17 servings
A 1-cup serving provides 2 bread/grain servings, ½ cup fruit/vegetable (¼ cup red/orange, ¼ cup dark green), 2 oz. meat/alt.
- 2 lbs. InHarvest Black Pearl Medley®
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 1 T. red-wine vinegar
- ¾ c. soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 1/8 c. sugar
- 2 T. sesame oil
- 1 T. ginger, chopped
- 1 T. garlic, chopped
- 1 t. crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 c. water
- 9 c. broccoli florets
- 8 c. carrots, sliced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 4¼ c. scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs., 2 oz. chicken meat, cooked, diced
- Cook InHarvest Black Pearl Medley according to package instructions. Hold hot for service.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and vinegar. Mix until smooth.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper and water.
- Place the sauce in a pot and bring to a boil. (If no stovetop is available, the sauce can be heated in a hotel pan in the oven until thickened. Stir once or twice while the sauce is heating.)
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Toss the broccoli and carrots in olive oil.
- Spread the vegetables onto a parchment-lined sheet pan and roast in a 350°F oven until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a hotel pan. Add the sauce and scallions and mix well to combine. Hold hot for service.
- Place the chicken in a hotel pan, sprinkle with a little water, cover, and heat in a 350°F oven until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Hold hot for service.
- To serve: Place 1 cup of rice in the bottom of a bowl. Top with ½ cup of mixed vegetables and 2 oz. of chicken.
Per serving: 368 cal., 26 g pro., 53 g carb., 10 g fiber, 7 g fat, 1 g sat. fat, 52 mg chol., 546 mg sod.
To speed service and save space, the chicken, vegetables and sauce can be combined and held hot on the steam table. Use an 8-oz. spoodle to serve ½ cup vegetable and 2 oz. chicken.