Sunrise Breakfast Apple Parfaits - K-12 Foodservice
This recipe was developed by InHarvest Chef Coleen Donnelly specifically for school menus.
Yield: 28 16-oz. parfaits
One serving provides 1 grain/bread equivalent, 1 cup fruit and 1.5 oz. meat/alt.
- 2 lbs. InHarvest Sunrise Blend with Quinoa Flakes®
- 1½ qts. boiling water
- 10½ lbs. lowfat vanilla yogurt
- 3½ qts. applesauce
- 3½ qts. apples, chopped
- 1 c. cranberries, dried (optional; see tip below)
- Into a bowl or hotel pan, place 2 lbs. InHarvest Sunrise Blend with Quinoa Flakes®. Pour hot water over the grains. Stir to combine.
- Cover the container with plastic wrap and let stand for 20 minutes to allow the grains to rehydrate.
- Drain excess water from the container. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix the cooled grains with yogurt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the applesauce with apples.
- Layer into 16-oz. parfait cups as follows: 1 c. applesauce/apple mixture, 1 c. Sunrise Blend/yogurt mixture, a sprinkle (about 2 t.) of cranberries (if using).
- Cover parfaits with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts Per serving: 417 cal., 18 g pro., 86 g carb., 7 g fiber, 4 g fat, 1.4 g. sat. fat, 8.5 mg chol., 120 mg sod.
- To prevent the cut apples from turning brown, sprinkle them with lemon juice and toss well.
- Cranberries are not counted in the fruit contribution, but add to the flavor and texture of the parfait.
- The type of yogurt used might alter the nutrition analysis.