Buffalo Chicken & Barley Salad
Playing off the flavors found in Buffalo wings, the barley is cooked, cooled, then combined with cooked chicken, yogurt, mayonnaise, carrot, celery, scallion, hot sauce and blue cheese crumbles.
Yield: 7 1-cup servings
- 8 oz. InHarvest White Barley
- 12 oz. diced cooked chicken meat
- ¾ c. diced peeled carrot
- 1 c. diced celery
- 3 T. thinly sliced scallion
- ½ c. plain, unsweetened, nonfat yogurt
- 5 T. mayonnaise
- 1 T. hot sauce (see note)
- 2¼ t. lemon juice
- ½ t. kosher salt
- 6 T. blue-cheese crumbles
- Cook InHarvest Barley according to package directions, but slightly overcook the grains so they remain tender when added to the dressing. Drain the barley completely and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the barley, chicken, carrot, celery and scallion. Mix well and set aside.
- To make the dressing, in a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, hot sauce, lemon juice and salt. Blend well.
- Fold the blue cheese into the dressing. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well to distribute the dressing.
Chef’s note: If using FRANK'S® REDHOT® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, increase the amount by 50%.