Sunrise Banana & Rosemary Whole-Wheat Donuts
These mini donuts answer the growing call for better-for-you fare that still tastes delicious. Packed with whole grains, this recipe's sweet notes of banana, vanilla and sugar are tempered with the fragrant, savory undertone of rosemary. At home on breakfast, brunch and dessert menus, these three-bite donuts satisfy.
Yield: Approximately 6 dozen mini donuts
- 1½ c. water
- 8 oz. InHarvest Sunrise Blend with Quinoa Flakes®
- 6 c. whole-wheat flour
- 3 c. granulated sugar
- 2 T. baking powder
- 2 t. salt
- 3 T. real vanilla extract
- 6 whole eggs
- 3 c. whole milk (can substitute rice drink, or natural vanilla rice milk)
- 3 large fresh bananas, mashed
- Fresh rosemary, fine mince, to taste
- 6 T. powdered sugar
- 3 t. ground cinnamon
- Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
- Bring water to a boil. Stir in Sunrise Blend with Quinoa Flakes® and remove from heat. Let rest, covered, for 20 minutes. Chill.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chilled cooked Sunrise Blend, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the vanilla, milk and eggs. Mix well.
- Add the milk-mixture to the flour mixture and combine well.
- Fold in the mashed banana and rosemary. Reserve chilled for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat an electric mini-donut maker.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Spray the donut maker with nonstick spray before each use and cook off the donuts until golden on both sides.
- Dust donuts with cinnamon sugar and serve.