Greenwheat Freekeh™ Veggie Burgers
Showcase the complex flavors and unsurpassed nutrition of freekeh in a delicious veggie burger.
Yield: 4 servings
- 2¼ c. vegetable stock
- 8 oz. InHarvest Greenwheat Freekeh™
- 4 t. canola oil, divided
- ½ c. minced onion
- ¼ c. minced celery
- ¼ c. minced carrot
- ¼ c. minced red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 c. panko or other breadcrumbs
- ½ c. shredded mozzarella
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/8 t. dried crushed thyme
- 1/8 t. smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small pot, bring vegetable stock to a boil. Stir in InHarvest Greenwheat Freekeh™ and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 10 additional minutes.
- In a sauté pan, heat 1 t. oil and add onion, celery, carrot and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the Greenwheat Freekeh, vegetables, panko, mozzarella, egg, thyme and paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Thoroughly mix the ingredients by hand until they begin to form a paste. Form 5-oz. patties.
- In a sauté pan, heat the remaining oil and cook the patties to a golden brown, flipping halfway through, about 4 minutes per side.
Chef’s note: Patties can be prepped in advance and refrigerated, then browned at service.