Buffalo Chicken & Barley Salad - K-12 Foodservice
This recipe was developed by InHarvest Chef Coleen Donnelly specifically for school menus.
Yield: 28 1-cup servings
A 1-cup serving provides 1 bread/grain serving, ¼ cup vegetable, 1.5 oz meat/alt.
- 2 lbs. InHarvest White Barley, uncooked
- 3 lbs. chicken meat, cooked, diced
- 3 c. carrots, peeled, diced
- 4 c. celery, diced
- ¾ c. scallions, diced
- 2 c. yogurt, plain, unsweetened, nonfat
- 1¼ c. mayonnaise
- ¼ c. hot sauce (if using Frank’s® RedHot®, increase to 3/8 c.)
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 1½ t. kosher salt
- 1½ c. blue-cheese crumbles
- Cook InHarvest White Barley according to package directions, but slightly over-cook the grains so that they remain tender when added to the dressing.
- Drain and cool the barley completely.
- Combine the barley, cooked chicken, carrots, celery and scallions. Mix well.
- Combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, hot sauce, lemon juice and salt. Blend well.
- Fold in the blue-cheese crumbles.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well to distribute the dressing.
Per serving: 279 cal., 22 g pro., 30 g carb., 6.5 g fiber, 8.3 g fat, 2.4 g. sat. fat, 53 mg chol., 319 mg sod.
The meat/meat alternate contribution is calculated on an ounce-to-ounce basis. If using a product that requires more than 1 ounce to meet the ounce equivalent, the recipe will require adjustment in order to meet the stated M/MA contribution.