Middle-Eastern Lamb Tacos with Greenwheat Freekeh™
Yield: 75 mini tacos
- 2 c. water
- 8 oz. InHarvest Greenwheat Freekeh™
- 3 T. olive oil
- ½ c. finely diced red onion
- 1 T. minced garlic
- ½ lb. ground lamb
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 2 t. chili powder
- ¼ c. chiffonade fresh oregano
- ¼ c. chiffonade fresh mint
- 2 c. slaw (recipe follows)
- 75 mini corn tortilla shells
- Greek yogurt, as needed
- Bring lightly salted water to a boil. Add InHarvest Greenwheat Freekeh™. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Lay freekeh wheat out on a sheet pan. Chill immediately.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is translucent. Add lamb. Sauté and cook completely, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add cooked freekeh, cumin, chili powder, oregano and mint. Mix well.
- Spoon ½ oz. taco filling into each mini taco shell. Top with slaw. Serve with yogurt.
Slaw (Yield: 2 c.)
- 2 c. finely shredded green cabbage
- ½ c. thinly sliced red onion
- ½ red jalapeño, halved, seeded, julienned
- 1 green jalapeño, halved, seeded, julienned
- ½ c. julienned sun-dried tomato
- ½ c. julienned kalamata olive
- 2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 limes
- Salt, to taste
Mix together cabbage, onion, jalapeño, sun-dried tomato, olive, feta and juice from limes. Salt to taste. Let stand for about 15 minutes to incorporate all flavors and wilt cabbage.