Thai Mushroom Stroganoff with Aztec Blend™
Complete protein in a hearty vegetarian dish, melding familiar flavors with a Thai twist. Topped with fresh, umami-rich creminis in coconut milk, Aztec Blend™ from InHarvest stands in for the classic rice pilaf of stroganoff. Aztec Blend™ offers a flavorful base of ancient amaranth, exclusive Colusari™ Red Rice, whole-grain brown rice and multi-colored split peas.
Courtesy of Monica Pope, chef/owner, t’afia, Houston, for the Mushroom Council, www.mushroomcouncil.org
Yield: 4 portions
- 2½ c. water
- 8 oz. InHarvest Aztec Blend™
- 1/3 t. turmeric powder
- 1¼ t. kosher salt, divided
- 2 t. butter
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1½ lbs. cremini mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 small stalk lemongrass, crushed
- 3 lime leaves or about 1 T. grated lime zest
- 2½ t. grated peeled ginger
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 2¾ c. coconut milk, divided
- ¼ t. ground black pepper
- ¼ c. roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- To water in a saucepot, stir in InHarvest Aztec Blend, turmeric powder, ½ t. salt and butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until just tender, about 35 minutes. Spread the rice on sheet pans to cool; refrigerate.
- In a large saucepot, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms and stir. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. Add the lemongrass, lime leaves or zest and ginger.
- In a small bowl, blend the cornstarch with ¼ cup coconut milk to a thin paste. Set aside.
- Add remaining coconut milk to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour in the cornstarch paste and bring to a boil; stir for a minute to thicken. Season with remaining salt and pepper; remove the lemongrass. (At this stage the stroganoff can be cooled and refrigerated until service.)
- Per portion, to order: Bring about 1 cup stroganoff to a simmer and serve over about 1 cup rewarmed rice blend. Garnish with chopped cilantro.