Dulce de Alegria (Amaranth Bars)
These nutty, naturally sweetened bars made with whole-grain popped amaranth, honey and a combination of sunflower and pumpkin seeds are a sweet fiesta for the mouth.
Yield: 16 bars
- 8 oz. InHarvest Amaranth
- Nonstick spray, as needed
- 6 T. honey
- 6 T. agave nectar
- 6 T. salted butter
- 6 T. unsalted sunflower seeds
- 6 T. salted roasted pumpkin seeds
- ½ c. dried apricots, small dice
- ¼ c. dried Mission figs, small dice
- Pop InHarvest Amaranth by placing in a very hot skillet 1 T. at a time, stirring constantly for about 15-18 seconds until seeds pop (watch carefully as they burn quickly when popping is finished). After they pop, transfer to a bowl and add the next tablespoon of amaranth to the pan. (You should have about 4½ c. of popped grain when done).
- Generously coat a half hotel pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine honey, nectar and butter in a large saucepan or skillet. Cook over medium heat for 7 minutes, stirring constantly, until the syrup bubbles and starts to caramelize.
- When the mixture turns golden brown and becomes thick and sticky, add the popped amaranth, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, apricots and mission figs; stir with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are coated with the syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to a coated half hotel pan. Push the mixture into the corners of the pan by hand. Let cool and harden. Cut into 16 bars (approximately 2” by 3” squares).