Sweet Potato & Crimson Lentil Soup with Wild Rice & Kale
Yield: 1 gallon
- 6 c. water
- 8 oz. InHarvest Grade A Wild Rice
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 1 T. garlic, chopped
- 4 qts. chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- 8 oz. InHarvest Petite Crimson Lentils
- 4 oz. kale, stems removed, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring water to a boil. Stir in wild rice.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes. Drain excess water and reserve the wild rice.
- In a large stockpot, heat 3 T. olive oil. Add diced sweet potato and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the onion and garlic; sauté for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 qt. stock, cover and simmer until the sweet potato is cooked through.
- Whisk the sweet potato, onion and garlic mixture to a smooth consistency.
- Add the remaining stock and Crimson Lentils and simmer until the lentils are dissolving (about 20 minutes). Whisk until the lentils have thickened the soup.
- In a separate pot, heat the remaining olive oil and stir in the chopped kale. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add to the soup along with the cooked wild rice.
- Adjust flavor with salt and pepper before serving. Garnish with croutons if desired.