Shrimp and Chicken Black Barley Paella
Chris Bybee, InHarvest Corporate Chef, Western Region, gave Spain’s cherished national dish a whole-grain spin with InHarvest’s Black Barley. Our barley has its bran layer intact, and cooks up to a glossy, rich, black sheen.
- 3 c. chicken stock
- 1½ c. white wine
- 2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded, ribbed and thinly sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded, ribbed and thinly sliced
- ½ t. Spanish saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 links dry-cured Spanish chorizo, sliced
- 8 oz. uncooked InHarvest Black Barley
- 10 oz. canned diced tomato
- 2 T. tomato paste
- ½ lb. raw peeled shrimp
- ½ lb. mussels
- ¾ c. peas, fresh or frozen
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 c. chopped Italian parsley
- Lemon wedges, as needed
- Heat the chicken stock and wine until boiling.
- In a separate large saucepan or paella pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil and add the chicken. Sear for 2 minutes.
- To the pan, add onion, garlic, bell pepper, saffron, bay leaf and chorizo. Cook for 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft and the chorizo is browned.
- Stir in black barley, tomato and tomato paste until well mixed. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add boiling chicken stock a little at a time, stirring each addition constantly until the stock is almost absorbed.
- Cover the paella pan with aluminum foil. Cook for 35 minutes until the barley is tender.
- Add the shrimp, mussels and peas and let cook, covered, for an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf. Dish paella into individual bowls and garnish with chopped parsley and lemon wedges.