Sunrise Blend, Artichoke, Spinach and Feta Cake Atop Roasted Vegetables
Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Chef Gary Suarez
- 8 oz. InHarvest Sunrise Blend with Quinoa Flakes®
- 1½ c. vegetable stock
- 4 T. shallots, brunoise
- 1 T. garlic, minced
- 2 c. organic baby spinach
- ½ c. artichoke hearts, (preferably fresh)
- ½ c. feta cheese, locally sourced
- 4 T. Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 T. basil, chopped
- 1 T. oregano, chopped
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1egg, from hormone and antibiotic free chicken
- 1 eggplant, local and organic
- 9 Roma tomatoes, local and organic
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ c. pine nuts, toasted
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- ¼ c. parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 t. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
**Garnishes Yellow pepper emulsion, herb oil, and crispy spinach leaves.
For the cake:
- Cook InHarvest Sunrise Blend with Quinoa Flakes® as directed using vegetable stock.
- Heat olive oil, sweat shallots and garlic, and add spinach. Add artichokes and remove from heat. Cool mixture.
- Fold in herbs, feta cheese and egg. Next fold in Sunrise Blend. In a ring mold, form cakes and freeze.
- Once the cake is set, remove from freezer and bread using the standard breading procedure of flour, egg and bread crumb. Pan fry for service.
For the roasted vegetables:
- Slice Roma tomatoes in half, toss in oil, salt and pepper. Oven roast at 175°F for 6-8 hours.
- Slice eggplant into 1/2” slices, marinate in remaining olive oil with salt and pepper. Roast at 375°F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
For the sauce:
- Place all ingredients except oil in a blender, and process. Incorporate oil until emulsified.