Scallop and Mango Mousse Stuffed Onigiri with InHarvest Mountain Red
Yield: 20 - 2 oz. ball (1.7 oz. Rice- .3 oz. filling)
- 8 oz. InHarvest Mountain Red Blend™
- 32 oz. vegetable stock, divided
- 6 oz. U-10 scallops, pureed
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 c. Vidalia onions, small dice
- 1/2 c. celery, small dice
- 1/2 c. carrot, small dice
- 4 T. mango, small dice
- 1 T. cilantro, fine chopped
- 1/3 c. heavy cream, very cold
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ginger Ponzu dipping sauce, for garnish
- Bring to a boil 2 c. vegetable stock and add InHarvest Mountain Red Blend™. Simmer for 18 minutes and let rest covered while preparing the following ingredients.
For mousse, place the scallops into food processor and puree very lightly. Add 1 egg white and pulse until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add salt, 2 T. of mango dice and cilantro. Pulse, to incorporate. With the machine running, slowly add all of the cream. Scrape down the sides of the bowl one last time, put the lid back on and run for 5 more seconds. Place in bowl and fold in remaining small diced mango.
Fill pastry bag with mousse and chill until firm.
Blanch all mire-poix (onion, celery, carrot) in remaining 2 c. vegetable stock.
Combine rested Mountain Red Blend with blanched vegetables and season with salt.
Puree 1 c. of the Mountain Red Blend and add it back to the rest to give it some binding texture and fold in 2 egg whites.
Form 1.7 oz. rice balls by hand. Make dent in center of ball for mousse filling.
Pipe in .3 oz. of scallop mango mousse into dent and work rapidly to wrap rice around filling to form tightly compressed ball.
Steam in bamboo basket for 10-12 minutes.
Serve with Ginger Ponzu dipping sauce.