Recipe Courtesy of Chef Jacob Harr
Yield: Serves 8
- 8 pieces fresh pita bread
- 4 c. shredded local or best quality lettuce
- 1 1/2 c. dried chickpeas
- 1 1/2 c. InHarvest Sunrise Blend with Quinoa Flakes®, cooked
- 2 medium cloves of garlic
- 1/2 c. diced yellow onion
- 2 t. lemon juice
- 3/4 t. sea salt, fine grind
- 3/4 t. cumin seed, lightly toasted
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 3 T. cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Canola oil for frying
- 1/2 ripe Haas avocado
- 1 t. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. plain fat free yogurt
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 1 ear of sweet corn, roasted (always use local produce when possible)
- 1 small ripe tomato, medium diced
- 1 T. yellow onion, medium diced
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 t. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, cover with cold water and allow to soak overnight.
- Drain chickpeas, place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Let simmer on low heat for about an hour. Drain and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend chickpeas, garlic, onion, lemon juice, salt, cumin seed, and cayenne pepper until smooth. Stir in InHarvest Sunrise Blend with Quinoa Flakes®, prepared according to package directions, and cilantro.
- Stir in flour 1/2 tablespoon at a time until mixture can be formed into balls. Mixture should still be wet, just dry enough to form.
- Form into about 12, 2 ounce balls. Flatten to about 1/2 inch thickness. Place on parchment paper coated with cooking spray and refrigerate while preparing yogurt and salsa.
- Place avocado and lemon juice in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add yogurt and blend until combined. Season with salt.
- Cut corn off the cob. Mix all ingredients in bowl. Season to taste.
- Heat 1/4 inch of canola oil in a large sauté pan to 375°F.
- Working in batches of about four, gently pan fry falafel for about 2 minutes per side or until dark golden brown. Be careful not to handle falafel too much before the crust has began to form or they may fall apart. Place on clean towel to soak up excess oil.
- Warm pita bread on flat grill until pliable. Spread avocado yogurt in middle of bread. Place 2 falafel on yogurt. Top with shredded lettuce and corn salsa.