|Industrial||1-530-669-0150 ext. 3627|
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 lbs. pork belly, cut into 6 equal squares
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 slices fresh ginger
- 4 c. water
- 2 T. dark brown sugar
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 t. black peppercorns
- 2 hot red chiles (Chinese or Thai)
- 3 T. Shaoxing wine (see note)
- ½ c. soy sauce
- ½ t. ground white pepper
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, for garnish (optional)
Ruby Wild Blend™ Kimchee Fried Rice (recipe follows)
- On the stovetop over medium-high heat, heat a Dutch oven.
- Sear the pork-belly pieces until browned on all sides. Remove the pork from the Dutch oven and drain off excess fat. Reserve the pork.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the Dutch oven and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the water, brown sugar, star anise, peppercorns, chiles, Shaoxing, soy sauce and white pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Return the pork pieces to the Dutch oven in a single layer. (Add more water if necessary to completely cover the pork.) Cover the Dutch oven and place in a 325°F oven. Cook for 3 hours or until the pork is very tender.
- After 2 hours in the oven, add the hard boiled eggs to the Dutch oven to color and flavor the eggs. Let the eggs cook with the pork for the remaining hour.
- Remove the pork and eggs from the Dutch oven and reserve. Strain the braising liquid and skim off all fat.
- In a small saucepan, reduce the strained sauce over low heat until it has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- At service, sear the top of the pork-belly square in a hot pan or under a broiler until crispy. (Finish heating in the oven, if necessary.)
- Cut the eggs into quarters lengthwise.
- Serve the pork with Ruby Wild Blend kimchee fried rice. Garnish 4 egg quarters and a drizzle of the sauce.
Chef’s note: Shaoxing wine is a rice wine found in Chinese grocery stores. It may be substituted with a good-quality dry sherry.
Ruby Wild Blend Kimchee Fried Rice
- 2 c. water or stock
- 8 oz. InHarvest Ruby Wild Blend
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1 T. minced fresh ginger
- 1 T. minced fresh garlic
- ½ c. thinly sliced scallion
- 2 c. 1/8”-sliced bok choy
- 1 c. chopped commercial kimchee (napa cabbage variety)
- ¼ c. liquid from kimchee
- 1 t. sesame oil
- In a pot, bring the water or stock to a boil. Stir in InHarvest Ruby Wild Blend. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a wok or sauté pan over high heat, heat the vegetable oil. Add the ginger, garlic and scallion. Cook, stirring constantly until fragrant and not burned.
- Add the bok choy to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the bok choy is tender.
- Add the kimchee to the pan and cook until heated through.
- Add the cooked Ruby Wild Blend and kimchee liquid. Cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is hot.
- Add the sesame oil and stir to combine.