|Industrial||1-530-669-0150 ext. 3627|
Naked, Wild & Free™ Sorghum Porridge with Roasted Tomato, Goat Cheese & Sage - 2 lbs.
InHarvest Products Used
Yield: 20 servings
- 2⅔ T. olive oil, divided
- 4 c.diced onion
- ½ c.chopped garlic
- 2 lbs. InHarvest Naked, Wild & Free™
- 11 c.low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 T.kosher salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 qt.whole milk
- 1 t. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ c.chiffonade of fresh sage leaves
- 20 Roma tomatoes
- 1¼ lbs. (approx. 20 slices) uncooked 1-oz. bacon strips
- 1¼ lbs. chilled goat cheese, sliced into 1-oz. disks
- 2 c.vegetable oil
- 1 t.superfine sugar
- ¼ c.chopped (½” long) chive
- 20 fresh whole sage leaves
- In a pot over medium heat, heat half of the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add InHarvest Naked, Wild & Free to the pot and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes to toast the grains.
- Add the stock, salt and bay leaves to the pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let the porridge simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and reserve the porridge hot, covered.
- In a separate pot, heat the milk until just steaming.
- In a mixing bowl, temper the raw egg by whisking in a small amount of hot milk. Continue to add milk gradually, whisking constantly, until all of the milk is whisked in.
- With a rubber spatula, stir the egg/milk mixture into the cooked porridge. Fold in the black pepper and chiffonade of sage. Reserve warm.
- While the porridge is cooking, slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise. (If the tomatoes have a lot of seeds, scoop them out.) In a large mixing bowl, toss the tomato halves with the remaining olive oil. Place the tomato halves on a parchment-lined sheet pan(s) and roast at 375°F for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line the bacon strips on a separate parchment-lined sheet pan(s) and place in the 375°F oven. Cook the bacon until crisp, checking the oven periodically to avoid the bacon burning.
- Remove the bacon from the oven and drain off the fat. Break the strips into approximately 1” pieces and reserve warm.
- Once the tomato halves have roasted at 375°F for 40 minutes, increase the oven to 400°F and continue to roast until the tomato halves are caramelized, approximately 20 minutes.
- In a shallow pan over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil. In 3 to 4 batches, add the whole sage leaves to the pan and cook until they turn dark green and crisp. (Do not burn.) Remove the leaves to paper towels and reserve for garnish.
- Evenly sprinkle the sugar over the goat-cheese disks. Brûlée the tops of the disks using a blowtorch or, alternatively, brown them under a broiler.
- Per order: Place 1 c. of the porridge into a single-serving bowl. Garnish with 5 to 6 pieces bacon, 2 tomato halves, a sprinkling of chopped chive, 1 goat-cheese disk and 1 fried sage leaf
Per serving: 599 cal., 23 g pro., 44 g carb., 6 g fiber, 39 g fat (9 g sat. fat), 110 mg chol., 954 mg sod., 8 g sugar
Chef’s note: Serve the savory porridge with warm milk or cream on the side if desired.